Australian Dictionary of Biography

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: Use double quotes to search for a phrase

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Older articles are being reviewed with a view to bringing them into line with contemporary values but the original text will remain available for historical context.

Mervyn Louis (Merv) Williams (1902–1980)

by Richard Broome

This article was published:

Mervyn Louis (Merv) Williams (1902-1980), boxer and sports writer, was born on 12 March 1902 at Aramac, Queensland, son of Charles Williams, station overseer, and his wife Delia Isabella, née Phillips, both Queensland born. Educated at Ipswich Grammar School, Merv was State amateur middleweight boxing champion at age 17 and undefeated when he turned professional at 18. He worked as a blacksmith's hand, miner and breadcarter to harden his medium build.

In 1922 Williams defeated Max Gornik for the Queensland middleweight title, the first of his three State championships. Williams never gained a national title, losing at his last attempt to George Thompson, the Australian heavyweight champion, in April 1930. A skilful combatant with a formidable right cross, by then Williams had competed tenaciously with a damaged hand for six years, regaining the State middleweight title against Harry Casey, a spoiler, in July. A bored crowd booed them, one man hurling a bottle. Lured from retirement by a purse of £100 in December 1931, Williams was pounded to the canvas seven times by Fred Henneberry at Leichhardt Stadium, Sydney.

To supplement his income, Williams sold cars in Sydney, and then managed hotels 'where I had more fights than I ever had in the ring'. In 1932 he moved to Melbourne. At the Preston Presbyterian Church on 21 May that year he married Floris Elizabeth (Betty) McAlley, a photographic employee. For the next six years he refereed at the Fitzroy and West Melbourne stadiums. After a close contest in May 1938, he ruled that an overseas boxer, Claude Varner, had defeated the heavily backed Australian featherweight champion Mickey Miller. Williams's decision caused a riot and his employers, Stadiums Ltd, promptly sacked him. Because the fight was close, he could have followed the wishes of the spectators and crowned Miller but he stated that 'a referee who gives decisions to suit the crowds is true neither to himself nor to the fighters'.

The Sporting Globe immediately hired Williams to report the rematch. In his article he fearlessly suggested foul play; Varner's aggression and superb in-fighting skills were strangely absent causing him to lose. Thereafter, Williams covered all sports for the newspaper, as well as producing a weekly report on boxing. He wrote and spoke flamboyantly, one article in 1939 describing a boxer as being 'as cool as the tip of an Eskimo's nose'. The cigar-smoking, joke-cracking Williams, whose black-rimmed glasses were pinned by ears thickened from boxing, broadcast his 'Mervisms' on radio 3DB's 'Sports Forum', and later on HSV7's 'TV Ringside'. Tired and beaten boxers 'couldn't run out of sight on a dark night', 'swayed like a jelly in a wind', or 'had less chance than a crippled prawn in a flock of seagulls'.

Williams's integrity and his fatherly advice to boxers were notable and were informed by his view that pugilists did not enjoy fighting; to them it was a job. As a fighter, referee and journalist, he was known as 'Mr Boxing'. He raised funds for the Royal Children's Hospital, describing his involvement as 'one of the greatest and most rewarding of all life's tasks'; from 1960 to 1964, when he suffered a heart attack, he carried out the strenuous, year-round duties of director of the Sporting Globe-3DB-HSV7 Good Friday Appeal. Predeceased by his wife and survived by his only daughter, he died on 6 January 1980 at Heidelberg and was cremated with Anglican rites.

Select Bibliography

  • Brisbane Courier, 15 Feb, 5 Apr, 5 May, 21 July 1930
  • Sydney Morning Herald, 24 Aug, 5 Dec 1931, 9 Jan 1980
  • Sporting Globe, 18 May, 1 June 1938, 22 Jan 1980
  • Herald (Melbourne), 5 Mar 1960, 13 Apr 1963
  • Sun News-Pictorial (Melbourne), 8 Jan 1980
  • Williams papers (National Library of Australia).

Citation details

Richard Broome, 'Williams, Mervyn Louis (Merv) (1902–1980)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, published first in hardcopy 2002, accessed online 23 May 2024.

This article was published in hardcopy in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 16, (Melbourne University Press), 2002

View the front pages for Volume 16

© Copyright Australian Dictionary of Biography, 2006-2024

Merv Williams, 1924

Merv Williams, 1924

National Library of Australia, 27211295

Life Summary [details]


12 March, 1902
Aramac, Queensland, Australia


6 January, 1980 (aged 77)
Heidelberg, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Religious Influence

Includes the religion in which subjects were raised, have chosen themselves, attendance at religious schools and/or religious funeral rites; Atheism and Agnosticism have been included.